Conducting a Successful Yard Sale
If you are fed up with household clutter, why not get rid of some of it at a yard sale? They are advertised in local newspapers and on posters stuck up in the street. You can join the fun and generate some cash in your spare time.
- Get advice from a friend who has done it before.
- Use fold-up tables or shelves to display the goods on.
- Arrange your items with care—they'll look better and you'll sell them faster.
- Price the items for sale beforehand and keep the prices low—you aren't going to make a fortune, but you will get rid of the goods with some financial return.
- Be prepared for some haggling and expect to reduce some prices.
- Place collections of small items in a box and fix a price for the whole box load.
- Wear a money belt, or hang a purse on a cord around your neck, for safe keeping. Take plenty of change with you.
- Ask a friend to come to your sale to help you deal with crowds, should they occur, and to keep you company in the quieter moments.
- Bring food and drink to keep you refreshed during the day.
- Take all unsold goods to a local charity shop afterwards.